Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Easy Does It

I am a complete clothes hoarder. I am very aware of it and I embrace it. But it can prove problematic when living in a tiny space like a dorm room. My solution: embrace belongings as a part of decor. The more my room feels like a boutique, the better. I really went for it as I brought out my fall and winter wardrobe.



My favorite J. Crew cape earns the top spot on my garment rack.


Stacks of denim and sweaters provide easy outfit options. I'm particularly excited for a pair of maroon waxed J. Brands I picked up on sale over the summer.

 

Folding and stacking by color is an incredibly simple way to give a dorm room closet a storefront feel. 

I was also having a massive problem with my desk. All of my makeup was shoved into a drawer and there were no good places for my pens, pencils, and hair things to live. I picked up some great acrylic drawers at Muji, threw my prettiest make up on top, my brushes in a mason jar, and in twenty minutes had a much more organized, clean, and aesthetically pleasing desktop.




The best part? This mini room revamp cost me $25 (for the drawers). Everything else was just getting creative with what I have. If you don't have a garment rack, stick a nail in the wall and hang your prettiest dress or jacket from a nice hanger on it. Instant wall art. No excuses for ugly dorm rooms. 




1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love your whole "Martha does Dorm" thing! Creative and smart! I'm so proud of you! -M

    ReplyDelete