Monday, July 22, 2013

Old No. 7

I'm letting Evan guest blog for this post.  Because we love everything Tennessee and alcohol, a trip to the Jack Daniels Distillery has been in the works for a while. I didn't pay attention half the time because I was too busy photoging, so I'll let him explain stuff. 

E: We had been talking about taking this trip for a couple months, and since it was such a nice day we took advantage of it.




Marble Jasper "Jack"


One of the characteristics of Jack that makes it a "Tennessee" whiskey as opposed to any other bourbon is a process called mellowing. The white lightning that comes off the stills is run through Sugar Maple charcoal to sweeten and "mellow" the raw liquor. Imagine that.

Jack Daniel's Distillery has been burning and using their own charcoal since the distillery opened in the late 19th century.




Jack's secret to good whiskey: Natural cave water filtered through limestone all the way from Canada.




"Jack on the Rocks"




Makin' friends as always






Not entirely sure how Jack gets away with producing such excellent alcohol in the only dry country in Tennessee. Props for completely taking advantage of the system.


A: I originally went along with this because I knew Evan was excited about it, but it was seriously one of the coolest things I've seen. Such a good day trip. 




No comments:

Post a Comment